Monday, November 18, 2013

The Blighted II - First Thoughts


Thought I'd share some early first thoughts to my zombie sequel:



Chapter One

Emma
Somewhere in the Pacific
“I’m certain, see for yourself,” Parris said, handing the binoculars to Liam.
Pressing them against his face, he stared out across the blue water towards the east.  If he strained hard and squinted his eyes just so, he could make out the cliffs.
“How did you see that?” Liam asked.
“What?” he said with a grin, “I’ve got sailor’s eyes.”
“And a mouth to match…”
“I can’t say that I blame ‘em – talkin’ like they do…” Parris replied, “Stuck out on the water like this, it’s enough to drive a man mad.  Even if the islands are full of blights, I won’t miss this boat.”
Liam laughed, “It’s hardly been two weeks.  Imagine how it was in the past – being out on the seas for months, without any of the luxuries we have, at the mercy of the winds…”
“Past?” Parris retorted, “Give it a year, that’s how it’ll be again.”
His words were sharp, cutting through the fa├žade of pleasantry that they’d managed for most of the voyage.  The past couple of weeks had allowed them to push back the fear that’d dogged them while they’d held out in Fiji.  The blood that had been spilt on the deck was long since gone.  The bodies of the fallen were but memories, having been offered up to the sea. 
Once they stepped off the trawler, though, the false reality they’d fashioned for themselves would be gone.  The truths that governed the new world would return.  Death waited ‘round every corner, or staggered forth without growing weary.  Suspicion reigned like a tyrant.  No stranger, no place – nothing could be trusted.  
If only we could stay out here forever, Liam thought to himself.
“I’ll go tell the others,” he said, “We should double the watch.  There could be trouble about.  You mind readying the inflatable?”
Parris nodded.
***
Emma awoke, as always, to Rikki curled up on her chest.  His low purr was calming, or maybe it was the weight.  Like a heavy blanket on a winter’s night, it made her feel safe.  She’d almost forgot what it felt like – not to be afraid of what the new day held, or even the next moment.   




2 comments:

  1. Sweet, Thank you for continuing the story. I've been waiting for this.

    If I can add to my wish list - another book of Pulse Chaser would be nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bear with me, it's a slow go. Not that I don't have ideas for the story, it's just that work is heavy.

    I'd love to write a whole series in the Pulse Chaser universe. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete